Paper collage meets quilting in this fun and adventurous online workshop.
Yes, you can stitch paper with your home sewing machine!
3 hours: Using your home sewing machine, create immediate creative collages with paper and thread. No waiting around for glue to dry! I will guide you through a series of hands-on exercises and share my 20+ years of experience as a paper collage artist, including all my tips and ideas for simple but striking compositions.
This workshop is a 3-hour live-stream event, conducted on Zoom, consisting of live instruction plus a few videos (no recording, please). You should have the current version of Zoom installed on your computer or laptop. Guidance for getting started will be sent in advance of the workshop.
Zoom Workshop Details
- Discuss what papers work best, from art store purchases to junk mail
- Cut base paper into standard 6″ x 6″ shapes or print templates from supplied PDF
- Mark off composition area with drafting tape guides
- Test your sewing machine stitch length and tension
- Cut and/or tear up paper to be added to your compostion
- Sew strips of paper onto base paper, building as you go
- Carefully remove tape guides
- Review options for framing and additional construction ideas
A complete PDF materials list, plus step-by-step notes and templates, will be emailed to each participant. Class sizes are limited to ensure one-on-one time. Optional paper kits will be available for advance purchase, and tips will be given for chosing papers that work best for this technique.
This is a beginning to intermediate level class. You should be comfortable using your sewing machine, and it should be in good working order. I look forward to sharing and sewing with you!
More Classes Coming:
Contact David if you are interested in future dates for this class, or to book this online or in-person workshop for your guild.