Paper collage meets quilting in this fun and adventurous online workshop.
Yes, you can stitch paper with your home sewing machine!
3 hours: Using your home sewing machine, create immediate creative collages with paper and thread. No waiting around for glue to dry! I will guide you through a series of hands-on exercises and share my 20+ years of experience as a paper collage artist, including all my tips and ideas for simple but striking compositions.
This workshop is a 3-hour live-stream event, conducted on Zoom, consisting of live instruction (no recording, please). You should have the current version of Zoom installed on your computer or laptop. Guidance for getting started will be sent in advance of the workshop.
Zoom Workshop Details
- Discuss what papers work best, from art store purchases to junk mail
- Cut base paper into standard 6″ x 6″ shapes or print templates from supplied PDF
- Mark off composition area with drafting tape guides
- Test your sewing machine stitch length and tension
- Cut and/or tear up paper to be added to your composition
- Sew strips of paper onto base paper, building as you go
- Carefully remove tape guides
- Review options for framing and additional construction ideas
This is an all-levels class. You should be comfortable using your sewing machine, and it should be in good working order. I look forward to sharing and sewing with you!
- Sewing machine with a standard needle: you can use an old needle for this project, it will work fine
- Magazine or junk mail to cut up
- Base paper cut into 6″ x 6″ squares: This can be anything from copy paper to something nicer. You can cut up a brown kraft paper bag to use as your base paper. I like to use BFK Rives printmaking paper, but basic paper is fine. Make 8 to 10 base squares.
- Sewing thread: any color, cotton, poly or rayon in 30, 40, or 50 weight
- Drafting tape or blue painter’s tape
- A small pad of Post-It’s
- X-Acto knife or a box cutter
- Scissors for paper
- Small scissors for trimming threads
- Metal edge ruler or a straight edge tool
- Self-healing cutting mat or cardboard to cut on
- Handmade paper, craft paper, watercolor paper: any paper with color, texture or pattern that you like can be stitched into a paper collage, as long as it is not too heavy like cardstock
A complete PDF supply list, plus step-by-step notes and templates will be emailed to each participant. Class sizes are limited to ensure one-on-one time. Tips will be given for choosing papers that work best for this technique.
“Just wanted to tell you how much I enjoyed being in your workshop yesterday! It’s some of the best 3 hours I’ve spent in quite some time. I was amazed at how ‘workshop’ it felt, being on Zoom and with so many people. Your materials list and instructions were fabulous. Thank you for a morning of fun and connection. FYI, I’ve signed up for your stitching class in 2 weeks, so see you again.”
MarlaStitched Paper Collage student
Available via Zoom!
This live-stream workshop is available to book using Zoom technology. It is 3 hours long with a break midway. I would be happy to arrange this workshop for your guild or artists’ group, please contact me for details. I also will give this workshop in person, when we are allowed to meet again.
More Classes Coming:
Contact David if you are interested in future dates for this class, or to book this online or in-person workshop for your guild.