These charming little quilts are inspired by Mid-Century Modern design, and are a great skill-building project to learn a number of quilting techniques.
Work small, work smart, look great.
3 hours: We will start with a simple, modern color palette of neutral fabrics with a flash of color. Clean lines combined with simple design give each tiny composition a sophisticated feeling. Since we are working very small, this is a great project for using small scraps and bits of special fabric.
Participants will learn the quilt-as-you-go method, and a PDF materials and supplies list will be emailed in advance. Hand stitching adds a sleek, linear element. Finishing techniques will be demonstrated.
This workshop is a 3-hour live-stream event, conducted on Zoom, consisting of live instruction (no recording, please). You should have the current version of Zoom installed on your computer or laptop. Guidance for getting started will be sent in advance of the workshop.
Zoom Workshop Details
- Select a range of neutral fabrics (all light, medium or dark), and a bright accent color. Solids, and subtle, small scale prints or textures work best.
- Cut cotton batting and backing fabric into 5″ squares.
- Cut a selection of the neutral fabrics into small strips (sizes will be provided).
- Cut a small amount of the bright accent color fabric.
- Learn the quilt-as-you-go technique, working from the inside out.
- Explore strip piecing, and leaving the raw edges on the outside for extra texture.
- Trim your small quilt blocks and stay stitch the edges.
- Learn about hand stitching, and experiment with adding your own design.
- Sew the backing onto the top of your mini quilts, leaving a space for turning.
- Turn and press, then do a final stitching around the perimeter.
This is an all-levels class. You should be comfortable using your sewing machine, and it should be in good working order. I look forward to sharing and sewing with you!
A complete PDF materials list, including step-by-step notes, will be emailed to each participant. Class sizes are limited to ensure one-on-one time.
“Thanks so much for an excellent workshop! We all really enjoyed spending the morning with you. It was such a well-organized class and all of your efforts to work with the technology (Zoom, cameras, etc,) not only made your instructions easy to follow but also contributed greatly to the cohesiveness of the group. You have left us with some great tools and lots of inspiration.”
MarnieMini Mid-Mod Quilts student
Available via Zoom!
This live-stream workshop is available to book using Zoom technology. It is 3 hours long with a break midway. I would be happy to arrange this workshop for your guild or artists’ group, please contact me for details. I also will give this workshop in person, when we are allowed to meet again.
More Classes Coming:
Contact David if you are interested in future dates for this class, or to book this online or in-person workshop for your guild.