Starting with a favorite work of art, develop your own unique modern quilt design. Be inspired by shapes, colors, structure, or the feeling you get and design a block or whole quilt with an eye on modern minimalism.
Modern quilt design, inspired by classic art
1 Day (6 to 8 hours): Bring your own photo of a work of art, and we will explore the many ways you can take inspiration from it to develop your own quilt block or full quilt design. We will break down the image to its most basic elements, create a rough drawing, then start building a test block using improv techniques. David will demonstrate sewing curves without pins, and without fear.
- Experiment with different elemental geometric shapes, including gentle curves
- Explore spare, simple compositions for a modern look
- Think about figure and ground
- Consider the sewing lines as a key design element
- Select one work of art, and bring multiple photo copies of it to class
- Break the artwork down into elemental blocks
- Assess which blocks work well, and choose one to translate into fabric
- Discuss color and value choices and decide on a palette
- Map out pieces for one composition
- Label and cut out cardboard pattern pieces, or cut pieces improv style
- Audition colors and placement
- Translate pattern pieces into fabric, leaving a generous amount of extra fabric for seam allowances
- Build composition with the quilt-as-you-go method, trying out multiple fabrics, stepping back to assess the effect of each
- Discuss surface design options: stitching by machine or hand, painting, drawing
- Watch a demo of facing a quilt for a modern look and joining finished quilt blocks
I will provide full hands-on instructions in class. Bring photo copies of your art inspiration, and we’ll create a new work inspired by your selection. This is a beginning to intermediate level class. Basic knowledge of walking foot quilting is helpful, but not necessary. We will learn together!
More Classes Coming:
Contact David if you are interested in future dates for this class, or to book this workshop for your guild.