Starting with a favorite work of art, develop your own unique modern quilt design. Be inspired by shapes, colors, structure, or the feeling you get and design a block or whole quilt with an eye on modern minimalism.
Modern quilt design, inspired by classic art
6 hours: Bring your own photo of a work of art, and we will explore the many ways you can take inspiration from it to develop your own quilt block or full quilt design. We will break down the image to its most basic elements, create a rough drawing, then start building a test block using improv techniques. David will demonstrate sewing curves without pins, and without fear.
This workshop is a 6-hour live-stream event, conducted on Zoom, consisting of live instruction (no recording, please). You should have the current version of Zoom installed on your computer or laptop. Guidance for getting started will be sent in advance of the workshop.
Zoom Workshop Details
- Experiment with different elemental geometric shapes, including gentle curves
- Explore spare, simple compositions for a modern look
- Think about figure and ground
- Consider the sewing lines as a key design element
- Select one work of art, and bring 1-2 photocopies of it to class
- Break the artwork down into elemental blocks
- Assess which blocks work well, and choose one to translate into fabric
- Discuss color and value choices and decide on a palette
- Map out pieces for one composition
- Label and cut out cardboard pattern pieces, or cut pieces improv style
- Audition colors and placement
- Translate pattern pieces into fabric, leaving a generous amount of extra fabric for seam allowances
- Build composition improv style, trying out multiple fabrics, stepping back to assess the effect of each
- Discuss surface design options: stitching by machine or hand, painting, drawing
- Watch a demo of facing a quilt for a modern look and joining finished quilt blocks
I will provide full hands-on instructions in class. Bring 1-2 photocopies of your art inspiration, and we’ll create a new work inspired by your selection. This is an all-levels workshop. Basic knowledge of machine piecing is helpful, but not necessary. We will learn together!
“Thank you so much for an amazing day. As a new quilter, I am a little overwhelmed, but your class taught me that I truly was overthinking my process. I loved all the tricks you taught us and will definitely use them in my future projects. I was really amazed at the curve process and happy I was able to accomplish. Your format and timing of your virtual class is perfect. Look forward to future classes with you and hopefully by then, I will a little more confident.”
AndreaInspired by Art student
“I am a 32 year elementary school teacher, your professionalism and teaching abilities are exemplary! I am not a modern quilter but your methods and style work for every quilter. The care and extra time you put into your students are what makes you special. We were incredibly lucky to have you teach for our guild.”
DianeInspired by Art student
“I absolutely loved being in your workshop on Saturday with our guild. You are an inspired and inspiring teacher — both your lecture and workshop were fun and fresh and warm and welcoming. Thank you for sharing your amazing talents this way!”
MarianneInspired by Art student
“I took David’s Inspired by Art class today and it was wonderful. I learned new techniques, but most importantly I learned a new approach to design. David’s teaching style is friendly and approachable, and he provides very clear instruction. And he made it fun. He also respected each person’s design aesthetic, and worked to teach us to trust our instincts and judgement. All around a great teacher, and I also think he’s a true artist. David’s studio set-up provides excellent visibility, and with no time wasted while he moves around to different stations. I look forward to taking future classes from David.”
LynneInspired by Art student
AVAILABLE VIA ZOOM!
This live-stream workshop is available to book using Zoom technology. It is 6 hours long with regular breaks. I would be happy to arrange this workshop for your guild or artists’ group, please contact me for details. I also will give this workshop in person, when we are allowed to meet again.
Contact David if you are interested in future dates for this class, or to book this workshop for your guild.