David will guide you through a creative process for designing your own modern abstract quilts, taking inspiration from architectural photos to develop dynamic and unique quilt designs.
Monumental inspiration with unlimited possibilities
6 hours: Using photos of architectural elements, David will guide you through the steps to design a mini fabric quilt. We will use the quilt-as-you-go method, sewing the top pieces, batting and backing simultaneously. David will demonstrate facing your quilt, to give a more modern finish than traditional binding. Your mini quilt can be the final product (frame it, hang it, or make a pillow cover later), or it can be a test for a larger quilt.
This workshop is a 6-hour live-stream event, conducted on Zoom, consisting of live instruction (no recording, please). You should have the current version of Zoom installed on your computer or laptop. Guidance for getting started will be sent in advance of the workshop.
Zoom Workshop Details
- Experiment with different elemental geometric shapes, including gentle curves
- Explore spare, simple compositions for a modern look
- Think about figure and ground
- Consider the sewing lines as a key design element
- Select 1-2 photos, and break them down into elemental shapes with tracing paper and pencil
- Assess which compositions work well, and choose one to translate into fabric
- Discuss color and value choices and decide on a palette
- Map out pieces for one composition
- Label and cut out cardboard pattern pieces, or cut pieces improv style
- Audition colors and placement
- Translate pattern pieces into fabric, leaving a generous amount of extra fabric for seam allowances
- Build composition with the quilt-as-you-go method, trying out multiple fabrics, stepping back to assess the effect of each
- Discuss surface design options: stitching by machine or hand, painting, drawing
- Watch a demo of facing a quilt for a modern look and joining finished quilt blocks
I will provide full hands-on instructions in class, as well as architectural photos to work from. This is an all-levels workshop. Basic knowledge of walking foot quilting is helpful, but not necessary. We will learn together!
AVAILABLE VIA ZOOM!
This live-stream workshop is available to book using Zoom technology. It is 6 hours long with regular breaks. I would be happy to arrange this workshop for your guild or artists’ group, please contact me for details. I also will give this workshop in person, when we are allowed to meet again.
More Classes Coming:
Contact David if you are interested in future dates for this class, or to book this workshop for your guild.