The lure of indigo is strong — the classic blue and white combination found in many Japanese textiles is cool, crisp, and so appealing.
Classic, cool blue and white paired with modern design
1 Day (6 to 8 hours): From classic kimonos to denim jeans, indigo has been used by many cultures for dyeing cloth, and the Japanese have refined the use of indigo to an art form. This is the class to use all those lovely blue and white shibori fabrics you’ve dyed yourself, or use carefully curated blue and white fabrics from your stash.
Each participant will develop a simple geometric block design based on unfolded origami shapes, set a theme and create variations, and combine them into the beginning of a fresh and modern mini quilt top.
Blue and white fabric kits will be available for purchase in class, including vintage Japanese yukata cotton prints. You will want to bring some solid dark blues plus some whites/creams to blend with the patterned fabrics.
- Fold paper using easy origami techniques
- Unfold the paper, and choose a few fold lines for your minimal block design
- Keep the lines and shapes very simple and spare for a modern look
- Transfer your design to cardboard, label and cut out pattern pieces
- Select blue and white fabrics for your simple block design
- Audition fabrics for contrast, pattern, texture and placement
- Use cardboard pattern pieces to cut out fabric, leaving a generous amount of extra fabric for seam allowances
- Sew 3-4 blocks, and explore how multiple blocks interact with each other, creating new shapes
- Sew more blocks as time allows to build up a mini quilt top
- Discuss surface design options: hand stitching and machine quilting
- Watch a demo of facing a quilt for a modern look, and joining finished quilt blocks
I will provide full hands-on instructions in class. Bring blue and white fabrics, including some solids, that you would like to use. If you’ve done some indigo dyeing, or have some vintage Japanese yukata fabrics in blue and white, bring them to experiment with! I will have fabric kits to purchase in class, to augment the fabrics you are bringing.
This is a beginning to intermediate level class. You should be comfortable using your sewing machine, and it should be in good working order. I look forward to sharing and sewing with you!
More Classes Coming:
Contact David if you are interested in future dates for this class, or to book this workshop for your guild.