Learn to see architecture with the eye of a modern quilt designer, and translate your vision into a modern, minimal quilt design!
CREATE 2-D DESIGNS FROM 3-D ARCHITECTURAL SPACES
3 hours: In this hands-on quilt composition workshop, students will explore how to take design inspiration from architecture for both piecing AND quilting.
There will be a quick smartphone photography demonstration, including practice enhancing photos with a free app called SnapSeed. Learn the best settings to create more dramatic photos, and simple, striking compositions. Explore how framing, cropping, and composition work together for modern minimal design.
Participants will then create paper photo collages as studies for modern abstract quilt designs. They will learn how to plan out the piecing as well as the quilting using printed photos of architecture and tracing paper.
Participants will leave with a greater understanding of architecture photography, how to enhance photos with their smartphone, and multiple options for designing a unique, modern architecture-inspired quilt… including a plan for the quilting! This is a no-sew workshop.
This workshop is a 3-hour live-stream event, conducted on Zoom, consisting of live instruction (no recording, please). You should have the current version of Zoom installed on your computer or laptop. Guidance for getting started will be sent in advance of the workshop
Zoom Workshop Details
- Watch a demo of SnapSeed, a powerful and free smartphone app
- Explore composition, framing and cropping and how simple effects can enhance architectural photos
- Cut, crop and scale paper hard copies of architectural photos and use them as abstract building blocks
- Assemble the abstracted blocks on a paper grid, creating a collaged composition
- Play with scale, shape, value, and the concept of figure and ground
- Using tracing paper, outline the main elements of the collaged composition, creating a plan for piecing
- With colored pens, fill in spaces to assign color and value to the shapes
- Generate ideas from the piecing in your composition to plan the quilting lines
- Practice making several quilting options for one composition
- Discuss fabric choices and options for construction
- Leave the workshop with a plan for sewing your unique modern, minimal quilt design
A complete PDF supply list with printable photos and grid templates will be emailed to each participant. Class sizes are limited to ensure one-on-one time. This is a no-sew workshop, suitable for all levels. A smartphone is optional, and not necessary to have in class. I look forward to inspiring you!
AVAILABLE VIA ZOOM!
This live-stream workshop is available to book using Zoom technology. It is 3 hours long with a break in the middle of class. I would be happy to arrange this workshop for your guild or artists’ group, please contact me for details.
Contact David if you are interested in future dates for this class, or to book this workshop for your guild.